- Make sure to set the alarm when you are not in the house or when you are going to bed. Many homes are broken into because the owner forgets to set the alarm.
- Make sure to have your alarm serviced regularly to make sure it is working correctly. An alarm system is not much good unless it is actually working and there’s no point in finding out that it’s not working after the burglars have broken in.
- Most alarm systems have sensors which detect when doors or windows are opened and/or motion sensors that detect movement inside of the home. Make sure to clear cobwebs regularly from motion sensors as something as small as a spider passing infront of the sensor can set it off. It could cost you an unnessary call out fee to get your alarm specialist out to diagnose it if the alarm is regularly being set off in this way.
- Consider putting extra protection around the alarm box that is attached to the outside of your home. There have been cases recently of burglars ripping the alarm box off of the wall and throwing it in a bucket of water to disable it. If you can get a fitter/welder to fix a steel bracket around the alarm box it will help to prevent this from happening.
- Check with your insurance company to see if they require a certain standard of alarm system to cover your home for theft (fire also!). Insurance companies are very quick to accept your money when you are paying for your home insurance but they often neglect to point out that certain restrictions apply which might mean you are not covered at all because of inadequate security alarm or locks.
- Ensure all alarm installers are PSA licensed in order to carry out alarm installation and maintenance.
- The usual rules apply with selecting an alarm installer for the job, make sure to get references, insurance details and any other information that you need to make sure that you are totally happy with the alarm installer that you choose. And yes make sure they are PSA licensed installers. Getting advice and quotes from a number of alarm installers ensures that you get the most information to make an informed choice. Always check whether the prices are inclusive or exclusive of VAT.
Contact Aidan today for security alarm advice & a quote - 087 9315283